Hello family, friends and followers!
It’s been a while and I’m so thankful for your continued
support. I pray this post finds you well and continually seeking God in your
life. Please, please, please let me know how things are for you! I’m beginning
to feel so disconnected from everyone back home… what’s been going on?!
Well, I figured you were all anxious for a post about my
time in beautiful Kapchorwa where I spent ten days from February 17th-26th.
I will start this by saying that I love mountains even more than I did before
and I didn’t even think that was possible! The mountains here in Uganda are
beautiful and the weather in the part of the country we were in (to the east,
near Kenya) was gorgeous. A few nights I fell asleep to the sound of rain falling
on our tin roof, and it was so peaceful!

My family was such a blessing. They
are quite revolutionary for typical villagers as my host mom is a politician
representing her district and serving the community with special attention to
women’s issues. Even before she was elected she worked to empower women to be
able to make a living to support themselves independently from their husbands
so that if they were widowed, which is likely, they would be able to survive.
In addition to being a supportive husband, my host dad is a farmer, which is
quite typical in the village. He grows coffee, onions, and matooke and they
raise chickens and cows as well. They are also very active in their church and
are very involved in the community. They have 7 children, 1 in university, 2
who are away at boarding school, 3 little girls who live at home and go to
primary school close by and an 8-month old son! They are quite the bustling
family and we lived in very close proximity to most of both parents’ siblings.
 |
| Momma and baby Levi on our way to the waterfall! |
So, I learned a lot from being in Kapchorwa for the week:
how to carry water in a big, yellow jug on my head, how to peel matooke, how to
sweep a dirt yard (no, this isn’t a joke), that when someone visits and you
slaughter a chicken for them they must eat the chicken’s stomach (I learned
that one by experience, and no, MY stomach did not agree!), that making plans
in Kapchorwa is silly and meetings never start ‘on time’, how to drink lots of tea and soda, how to entertain baby
Levi (with my camera, usually) and how to be a child again, because my family was
very protective of me!! It’s a good
lesson to learn, though, and it’s such a blessing to let people love on and
take care of you =)
 |
| Matooke peeling station |
 |
| Runaway hen and chicks! |
 |
| Fanta, the universal way to be hospitable =) |
After we were picked up on Friday, the 24th, we
were reunited with the rest of the group and we had a debrief session that
evening, went on a hike to see the waterfalls on Saturday (I saw 2 out of 3 of
them, they were beautiful), and on Sunday we had a worship service together
before heading back to Mukono.
 |
| Reunited with beautiful friends in a beautiful place! |
 |
| Waterfall beauty |
In other news, it finally rained here in Mukono
while we were gone and it has been TONS cooler ever since and it rains every
few days which keeps it a lot cooler. There’s lots of other news to share
including the fact that the internet has been very unstable for a few weeks and
I have been very busy! I’ll post again soon with more about the past few weeks
and the next five weeks here at UCU (time is flying by!)!
Be blessed,
Ruth
Great story and stuff Ruth.
ReplyDelete